Sunday, August 17, 2014

Everything Is Coming Up Roses!


Remember this fun little mess?
 I thought to myself...what would happen if I played with just my favorites?
That turned into this!
Which I love!
I call her "Prairie Rose"!
And I love it in any size!
 I am making this for a new Baby Rose! (Shhh! for this couple, remember?)

On top of all this fun new block excitement, I have indeed changed the name of this blog to
"Cedar Fork Stitches"!

To celebrate both, I have made up a little tutorial for the "Prairie Rose"!

Materials Needed for a 9" block:
2 1/2" charms:  2 for the "center", 4 for the "middle", 6 for the "outer"
12 total
12 2 1/2" white squares
12 2" white squares
Mark each 2 1/2" white square on the diagonal
Match up one charm with each of the 2 1/2" white squares, right sides together and make half-square triangles out of all of them, stitching 1/4" to each side of the marked line. Cut apart on the diagonal.

Trim to 2"

 A nice, neat little stack of 24 HSTs :)

Arrange like this:
Sew into rows.  Sew the rows together.
This block lends itself really well to "web" construction. 
If you have never sewn a "web", Linda @ Flourishing Palms has a very thorough tutorial!
It looks like this:
flip the 2nd column onto the 1st column

stack in order from top to bottom and carry to your machine

chain piece in order

leave them chained together...don't cut them apart!

make a stack of the 3rd column, from top to bottom


stacks 3, 4, 5, and 6, all in top-to-bottom order

chain piece without cutting the rows apart
It looks like this when it is all done, about 15 minutes later!
It is a lot easier to do than to explain!
see the connecting threads?
 Take the "web" to your iron, and press rows in alternate directions

Sew row to row, another 15 minutes and,
Voila!

I just may end up with the prettiest rose garden in the county!

Thanks again for your generous feedback a few days ago regarding bloggy stuff!  
I appreciate you, my quilty bloggy friends, more than you know!


3 comments:

Miss Alissa said...

I love the name change! Way to combine the two!

Gina said...

look at that... you are officially a sewing bllog!!! :) your Prarie Rose is a beauiful block!! i thought of you today when i was making a hst block for one of my bees :)

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Prairie Rose is a beautiful block - you have chosen some lovely fabric combinations for her too!